Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A TUESDAY TUTORIAL...

on Tuesday morning!  How fitting.

I just finished speaking with Suzy-Q, who was in Mesa all weekend long at the convention.  She said that one question she gets all of the time in the booth is "how do I use those dern tiny letters?"

Okay, so no one actually said "dern", I just edited that in!

So I thought today would be a great day to do a little "Photo Tutorial".  It's been a while since I've done one of these.  So sit back and soak it all in.  This is a great little tip - that I use ALL OF THE TIME!  I started out using it just with SkinniMini Letters...but now that I've added a few years to my stash of experience, I find myself using it with even the larger letters.

First - die cut all of your letters, and spell out your word...


Grab your Quicker-Poker-Picker-Upper and arrange all of your letters (or shapes) exactly how you like them...


Now, tear a strip of Scotch Matte Finish Removable Tape (which I find at WalMart, in the office supply aisle) and stick it down over your letters...


Give the tape a good rub, then peel everything off of your work surface...


Turn your strip of tape over and lay it sticky side up in front of you...


Using your favorite adhesive, glue up the backside of your letters...


Then carefully flip your tape strip over, onto your project...


Give it another a good rub, to make sure everything is stuck down completely. Then gently lift one end of the tape, and peel it off of the letters...


Now stand back and admire your perfectly aligned, wonderfully centered, itty bitty letters...


It's a beautiful thing!

Here is a picture of my finished card (click on the picture for an enlarged view).


I used the QK Funky Chicken DoubleKutz and the QK Moxie SkinniMini alphabet.

I hope you'll try this tape-trick. I know that when I learned how to do this, it changed the number of alphabets I had available to me. I was no longer afraid to purchase the smaller fonts for my personal stash.

So try it. You'll like it!

behave yourselves...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Miss Essie, what a great tip! I needed that this weekend when using my QK stiletto font. I will definitely use that for sure.
I'm still working on my entry, only have 7 more days so I better get a move on!
Have a great day!
Tammy in NC

Anonymous said...

you are a genius- thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the real neat tip!!! I can for sure use that tip for my "Dern" lettering! Looks like it will help a lot on keeping letters straight.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Can I add one more tip to what you have there?..... before you put your tape down on your letters, lay the tape down on your pants (jeans - what ever you are wearing), it will take a little bit of the lint from your clothing and won't be so sticky - that way after you put the glue on the letters and then turn it over and give it a good rub onto your project, the tape will never take a layer of your paper letters with it when you pull the tape back off.

Kerttu said...

what a great idea..thanks..will definetly try this one out...;)